Monday, November 7, 2011

Time

Time tends to be an abstract idea. I'm very used to having things scheduled recently I realized about how ridiculous it is to have to schedule time to rest or relax. I like the idea of will to power, I don't think i'll ever be able to achieve it but recently it keeps popping into my head. SAT subject tests, extended essay, CAS, and college apps, and extra curricular activities all seem to be taking most of my time. I cant remember the last time i just rested, rested without having to plan it. I keep waiting for break, I tell myself it'll be a good time to catch up. It seems that thats what human life consists of, catching up. Trying to keep your head above the water, knowing that floating would just be easier. Drive doesn't seem to lack many, everyone has a purpose. I keep thinking about  Nietzsche, now did he go insane. When did the world stop making sense, or perhaps to much sense. Why must we make sense of everything, aren't some things best left to belief. Belief, Religion,imagination and literature our one escape away from our life. This is why I like dreams, I see them as moments of suspended reality or,a reality in their own right. I mostly rambled in this post, I don't really know what  the purpose was or if it even had one.

6 comments:

  1. This a great post and I can relate to almost everything you wrote about time...it's scary how much power it has over us.
    Also, I was wondering the same thing as you were about Nietzsche and just pretty much anyone who goes insane. How does it happen and why? It just doesn't make sense to me that a person can just go crazy. Sometimes I wonder if they are the sane ones and we are the ones who are actually insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what life would be like without clocks. It's strange to think about how much they shape our lives. Everything is perfectly organized into uniform 24 hour blocks, divided up to the last millisecond.

    I think, ideally, all time would be free time. Every moment spent is of your choosing. Hopefully, we can all look back on our experiences and feel that we chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me think about how much I complain about lacking time to really sleep. It's probably the most valuable commodity, to me, this year. If someone said, "I'll trade you your hair for a week's worth of sleep," I'd respond "Where are the scissors?" Why not? I feel like I've put a lifetime of possibility on hold just to prepare for college, not implying that I don't want to college, but that I think that the personal (besides financial) cost is far too great for just getting to college. After all, all we're working for is a piece of paper that we can easily burn in an abandoned field. Don't mean to imply anything, or do I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiiiime is on my side, yes it is! -Mick Jaggar

    Beautiful words and thoughts Karen. We will be visiting these in class soon. Mr. S

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Anne, isn't all time right now STILL free time? Do we not have the freedom to choose, we just think that we don't? I can say, no, I'm going to drop out of school and just sit at home and read books.
    That's what life IS. It's all about the choices you make, and why you make them. Whether or not the superficial aspect of time exists or not, life would still be full of choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exactly what I was trying to get at, but I guess I didn't explain it as well as I could. We chose how to spend every moment in life, but for a lot of people, a good portion of it is spent doing things we find unpleasant, or much worse, worthless.

    Time is free, but is it "on our side"? We fill up our days with obligations and distractions, which, for a lot of us, don't mean anything personally. Time is wasted. When I said that we can hopefully look back and feel that we chose well, it's because I don't always feel that way about my own life. I can't look back on all the moments and choices of even the last week, and say, "Yeah, that was a good use of time, that was a good way to live."

    Perhaps time is only a superficial construct, but it still exerts great power over us. And
    although we chose how to spend each moment, we may not feel free, because our choices are often disappointing. This is like the Sartre quote on Nomka's blog.

    ReplyDelete